Monday, June 27, 2016

Florida Vacation - Everglades Alligator Farm

What do you do with a day in the Florida Keys when you can't go diving? You visit and an alligator farm. Everglades Alligator Farm is the oldest alligator farm in South Florida.


 The airboat ride was super noisy! They gave everyone ear protection for the ride.
 Captain Paul drove the boat. He really liked to do fast spins in the open water area.
It was a little creepy during the first part of the ride. The sides of the boat are not that high. There were alligators swimming all around us in the water.
 I was glad I was not sitting on the outside seat. Do you see that big alligator?
 Boogs was not fond of how noisy the ride was but he did appreciate the speed.
 We went to the Snake Show. Boogs made sure he pet and held all of the snakes that he could.
I told him there was no way he would EVER get a snake as a pet. "But Momma, look how cute this snake is." NO!
The guy who did the alligator show, had a huge scar on one of his arms. He said he got a little close one time and almost lost his arm.
 Of course, Boogs thought the alligators were cute, too.
 We took some time to walk on the nature trail and feed the fish, ducks, turtles, and emu.

 Look at my husband playing hide and seek with that emu.
 Everglades Alligator Farm was a neat little place to visit.
We left the farm and drove about ten miles to reach Everglades National Park. Along the way we kept seeing different animal crossing signs. This one wanted you to watch out for panthers. I am much more comfortable with the deer crossing signs at home.
At Everglades National Park, we stopped at the visitor's center and asked about the Jr. Ranger Program. Boogs got a booklet and started working on it while we toured the visitor's center.

After watching a video about the formation of the Everglades, we went outside to work on a couple of pages of Boogs' booklet.
 Just about the time we were ready to hit the trails, the weather started to change.




A storm blew in with huge lightning and loud thunder. That made up our minds to call it a day. We did not get a chance to see more of the park.
We made it back to our condo, had dinner, and went to bed early.


This post is linked to:
www.coombemille.com/category/country-kids

10 comments:

  1. What a fab day for you all, I bet it was amazing to see all the alligators so close, if a little nerve-racking. It's great that Boogs got to have a hands-on experience with the snakes even if it has inspired a want for an unusual pet. I must say, I wouldn't feel too comfortable seeing the panther crossing signs either!

    Thanks for sharing with me on #CountryKids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were also many, many alligator/crocodile crossing signs on the highway. I would have been terrified if our car had broken down out there.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great day out! We have just booked to go to Florida next year and I think my husband is more excited about alligators than mickey ;) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun on your trip next year! Disney is a great place to visit.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to do this! I've only been to Florida once, and the kids weren't with me. We drove through the National Park but we didn't have time to stop and see any alligators :) Looks like you had a fun day! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to see the alligators behind fences. I don't want to see them any closer than that. I wish the weather had cooperated and we could have explored the National Park a bit more.

      Delete
  4. That is one super cool trip! My son would love to go there too! I am so scared of snakes (& gators) but my son loves to touch snakes! I always act so brave when we would have a trip where he can touch snakes but inside I want to run away shouting!

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't touch any of the snakes or gators and was quite nervous about being on the air boat. Boogs LOVED it. It is good that you are able to act brave for your kids. Boogs probably wishes that I would. :-)

      Delete
  5. What fab day out you've had. Loiving your #countrykids posts. Boogs is such a brave and cool explorer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel very blessed to have Boogs. He is brave and curious.

      Delete