Friday, September 4, 2015

4th Grade Lunches Week 2

This was our "for real" first week of school so now I know how much time I have to get ready. I started going back to my workouts with my friend in the mornings. Hello 4:30 a.m. wake-up time. By the time I get back home, it is about 6 a.m.  Last year, I did not have to leave the house until 7:25. This year, I have to leave at 6:50. I really miss those extra 35 minutes. I still have enough time to throw together some themed lunches for Boogs.

The Trouble With Chickens by Doreen Cronin
Boogs read this book to me in a dime-store-detective-novel kind of voice. We both laughed out loud when J.J., the retired rescue dog, interacted with the ranch chicks. Mama hen, Moosh, asked J.J. to help her find her kidnapped chicks. This was a cute book with a funny plot twist. I won't give it away. Boogs really enjoyed it. As soon as he finished it, he immediately started reading The Legend of Diamond Lil, the second book in the series.

In the Laptop Lunchbox: ham & cheese J.J. sandwich, cheese chicks, pickles, salad, and kiwi.

Just a lunch
Boogs was a little disappointed when he found out he was having a "normal" lunch this day. He started brainstorming ideas for lunch themes we could make in the future. In the ELB lunchbox: fruit cup, Hawaiian Roll, salami, Babybel cheese, pumpkin seeds, carrots, tomatoes, spinach, and broccoli.

Texas lunch
4th graders study about the history of Texas. So I though I would make Boogs a Texas lunch. In the Laptop Lunchbox: pb&j Texas sandwich, yogurt pretzels, hat & boot picks with cheese & salami, apple, yogurt, and salad.

Laugh-eteria by Douglas Florian
Laugh-eteria is a small book of poems and drawings by Douglas Florian. Boogs enjoyed reading many of the jokes to me. He asked if I could make a dino lunch to go with the poem Dine-o-saurs.
In the Laptop Lunchbox: garlic bologna & cheese dino sandwiches, cheese dino bones, salad the dinos should have eaten, peach, and yogurt.

Sometimes I Worry Too Much, But Now I Know How To Stop It by Dawn A Huebner

I have been a half-time teacher for the past several years. This allowed me to drop-off and pick-up Boogs from the elementary school he is zoned to attend. This year I added ten more hours to my schedule. As a three-quarter time teacher, I am unable to drop off Boogs at his zoned school and make it to work on time. So, he now has to go to school with me. He is very unhappy about this situation and is loosing sleep over it. I have found him awake in his room with the lights on at 3 a.m. several times over the past couple of weeks. He told me he couldn't sleep because he was anxious about his new school. I talked to the school counselor for ideas to help Boogs with this transition. She made a few suggestions and also let me borrow this book. It discusses excessive worrying about things that are not really legitimate problems - more like "what-ifs". I read it to Boogs. He was so funny. After we read this book, he said, "Momma, I think you are overreacting a bit. This book is for someone who worried too much. I'm only worried about how this school year will turn out. I think I will be okay at school in about two months cause I'll be adjusted by then. I'll try to sleep better." I love my sweet, funny, insightful boy. I think talking about it did help. He slept through the night and woke up ready to go to school the next morning.

In the ELB: almond butter & jelly Anna sandwich with her pockets full of Z-Bar worries, salami ground, sunshine oranges to chase the blues away, and sunbeam carrot sticks with hummus.

My ELB (easylunchboxes.com) and Laptop Lunchbox (Bentology.net) are my go-to lunchboxes. I love the three perfect sized compartments of the ELBs and the colorful boxes of my Laptop Lunchbox.

This post is linked to: What Kids Eat Wednesday. 


Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

No comments:

Post a Comment