Friday, August 28, 2015

First Week of Lunches for 4th Grade

School is back in session and it is time to start making lunches EVERY day. Boogs is in 4th Grade this year. He gave me his blessing to continue making "cute" lunches for him "as long as they are not too flowery". The lunches I make for Boogs are usually Story Themed Lunches inspired by what we are reading.

The Kissing Hand By Audrey Penn
I make a special lunch inspired by this book on every first day of school - kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th grade. You can read the details about this lunch in my other post HERE.

For the past several years, Grandmaman (my mother-in-law) has been giving Boogs a subscription to National Geographic Kids Magazine as a Christmas present. Boogs loves checking the mail and finding his new magazine in the mailbox every month. I think it is a wonderful source of non-fiction reading for him. We used the August issue of Nat Geo Kids to inspire the rest of our lunches this week.
On the second day of school, Boogs handed me this page of his Nat Geo Kids Magazine and challenged me to make a lunch featuring the two porcupines in this comic. He said, "I think it will be a challenge for you to make this lunch happen." Well, yes, it was a challenge and I absolutely failed at making it look anything like the picture. The mini-sandwiches are supposed to be porcupines. Boogs was not sure a pretzel stick represented a prickly cactus very well. We laughed about it and he ate it for lunch, so I still count this lunch as a success. In the ELB lunchbox: strawberries, carrots with a container of hummus, trail mix, Pringles, pretzel stick cactus, and two ham & cheese porcupine sandwiches.
I love making these panda bear sandwiches, I think they are adorable. They are sooooo easy to make using the CuteZcute sandwich cutter set.  Ten minutes and this lunch was in the lunch bag. In the Laptop Lunchbox: pb&j panda sandwiches, Goldfish crackers, blackberries, pineapple, salad, and Babybel cheese.
Boogs thought this would be a great hotel to stay at for a night or two. The dog has the sleeping quarters and the fire hydrant is actually a porta potty. In the ELB lunchbox: bean & cheese quesadilla dog and fire hydrant, peptitas grass, hot dog ground, kiwi, blueberries, and salad.
Boogs really likes cats. He asked me to make a lunch based on this cat winning a boxing match with this dog. Well, I overslept that morning and barely had time to get ready for school/work. So I only put the cat in the lunch. The CuteZcute sandwich cutter came in handy this morning to make a super fast cat sandwich. I told Boogs the cheese and the Pirate's Booty were doggy footprints so technically I did include the dog in this lunch. In the ELB lunchbox: ham & cheese CuteZcute cat sandwich, cheese paw print, Pirate's Booty dog paw prints, sesame sticks, pineapple, strawberry boxing gloves, and salad.

My ELB (easylunchboxes.com) and Laptop Lunchbox (Bentology.net) are my go-to lunchboxes. I love the three perfect sized compartments of the ELBs and the colorful boxes of my Laptop Lunchbox.

This post is linked to: What Kids Eat Wednesday. 

Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for popping by STEAM Powered Family! I have a boy going into grade four too :) Great creative lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great creative lunches. Make me hungry.
    I found you on Sharing Saturdays.
    Blessings,
    janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind comment.

      Delete