Sunday, April 7, 2013

MineCraft Birthday Party

A couple of weeks ago, Boogs asked if he could have a MineCraft birthday party. I was kind of hoping to skip a big party and just do a family thing. We compromised, I let him have a party but he could only invite the same number of friends as his age - 7. 


Every year, I freezer paper stencil a special birthday shirt for Boogs. This year he wanted a Creeper shirt. I decided to use this green shirt that he already had. The Creeper face is slightly off-center because I covered a stain on the shirt with the black fabric paint.

 My printer got a real workout while preparing for the party. I could not find MineCraft party merchandise. Luckily, there are a lot of places to find free templates for downloading various images and papercrafts. Instructables site was very helpful.

"Treasure" party favor bags had Pop Rocks, Ring Pop, Bazooka gum, songs, Creeper mini notepad, spinning top wrapped in "coal" paper, and a little toy wrapped in "diamond" paper.


 I made a Steve head for Boogs. He really liked it!
 For the party craft, I set out fuse beads so the kids could make MineCraft items.
 Here is Steve.
 We had snacks and also ordered pizza.
I am horrible at icing cakes. Boogs really wanted a cake like the one in MineCraft. I tried my best. He said it was cool. Boogs ate some of the white cake while his guests ate the Creeper cupcakes. During the party, my sister asked Boogs if he made the cake all by himself because it looked like a 7-year-old had made it. :-)
 The kids spent quite a long time working on their fuse bead creations.
 We played Pin the Tail on the Ender Dragon.
My mom was being goofy during a card game. I don't know how they concentrated on the game with the noise of Boogs' party in the background.
 Boogs asked if I could make a Creeper pinata. I really could not figure out how to make it work. Instead, I put their treasure into a Ziplock bag and then buried it in sand. The kids had to follow the trail down into the mines to dig for their treasure. I told them to stay on the path or the Creepers (cactus) would get them.

 At the end of the trail, the kids had to knock down a wall to get to the mine. The mine was a large tub filled with sand.
I did not expect them to throw the sand around so much. It was fun watching them. Once they found a baggie, they moved away so someone else could get a turn.
 I thought this was a cool action shot.

 After everyone finished mining, we headed back to the house for cake.
 I still can't believe that Boogs is 7. He is growing up so quickly.
 Yum! Creeper cupcakes!
The kids wanted to see Boogs new pet hamster. I told them thet had to sit in a circle and be very calm. I put Winter in her exercise ball and let her run around inside the circle of friends. This was the quietest few moments of the party.

I think everyone had a good time. I really appreciated my friends and family helping me clean up after the party. Boogs told me he had a great time and thanked me for giving him a fun party.


My party planning was made so much easier with help from these blog posts and sites:

Sign and cupcake wrappers





Links to food signs, minecraft cd, and pin the tail on the Ender Dragon

http://ichooseawesome.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/epic-minecraft-party/

I also looked at several other Minecraft parties which I pinned on my Parties/Gifts board on pinterest
http://pinterest.com/keithas/parties-gifts/

Here are links to two other fun parties Boogs has had in the past:
Bug Party
http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2012/04/bug-party-flashback.html

Lego Party
http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2012/04/boogs-6th-birthday-party.html



This post was linked up to Country Kids from Coombe Mills linky party. Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar.

33 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. The kids really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. That looks like an amazing birthday party. I love the mine craft and it looks to me like you may be in for birthday parties for some time to come offering all this fun! Thabk you for joining me on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to put together themed parties, just like I like to make themed lunches.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It went really well. The prep was a lot of work but the actual party was easy.

      Delete
  4. What a fun party!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great party - even my 16 year old would have loved this! I cheated and bought minecraft tops/jumper from ebay and he wears them all the time.
    I'm going to pin this on my party board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of his friends gave Boogs a Minecraft t-shirt. He loves it!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing on The Sunday Showcase. I've pinned to our board. What a fun party idea! I love the pixilated head!

    Thanks for sharing on The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun, creative party. I didn't even know kids still enjoyed the old school games =-) I am buffering it to share this week on social media.

    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Hope to see you linked up again today =)

    Have a great weekend,
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know if they would have played Pin the Tail on the Donkey, but they were fine with Pin the Tail on the Ender Dragon. :-)

      Delete
  8. I LOVE THIS! Of course, my son had his 9th party last week so it’s too late for this year. But with no end in sight to his Minecraft obsession, I’m keeping this on the backburner for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not really know much about Minecraft before he asked for a Minecraft birthday party. My husband bought the game for him. Thank you for the kind comment.

      Delete
  9. what songs did you put on the mindcraft songs? great simple but FUN ideas! organizing a bday party for my son's 8th bday part -in t minu 3 weeks! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! The website link in my post no longer works. It looks like the site was taken down on May 31st. You can go to YouTube and search for Minecraft parody songs. I can't remember all of them, but we did like the parody songs by Captain Sparklez.

      Delete
  10. Thankyou so much for the link of the sign and wrappers. We are having a bday party this month and I am really looking forward to using these items! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keitha! First I have to tell you that my parents almost named me Keitha...but I ended up with Keela instead. :) You're the first Keitha I've ever ran into. LOL! My almost 11 year old wants to have a Minecraft party this year. My 13 year old is going to help me make some things for the party. Thank you for adding the links that you found! I'm sure it will be helpful to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keela is a pretty name and I bet you were not always on the boys list in elementary school. :-)

      You will have to come back and leave a link to your 11 yo party.

      Delete
  12. This looks a very funny birthday party i love that Minecraft and this is soo great Keitha i love oyu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely and full of fun party, surely those games will keep kids entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you happen to still have the file for pin the tail on the enderdragon? I've been looking everywhere for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, but I didn't keep it after I printed it. The blog, choose awesome, where I found the file has shut down. But, I did find a nice clean pic of ender dragon. You can copy the pic then past it into Word and print it from there. Here is a link to a good picture: http://divine-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Ender_Dragon

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for this and for having the PDFs of the food cards and everything available. I'm throwing a Minecraft birthday party for my 7-year-old daughter tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this post was helpful. Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!

      Delete
  16. I wanted to let you know that I found the Choose Awesome website hosted on another server: http://ichooseawesome.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/epic-minecraft-party/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I updated the link in this post.

      Delete
  17. Hey Keitha you did a great job dear. Your party ideas are very nice. I have never been to a Minecraft party but I am willing to organize for my son’s birthday party. I want his birthday party to be the best birthday party nyc. Please give some more ideas.

    ReplyDelete