Thursday, August 16, 2012

Treasure Hunt Game

Boogs loves to be read to. He is sometimes hesitant with reading. But, writing is a whole different story. He does not enjoy writing. Over the summer, we have been using up some of the remaining pages in his kindergarten writer's workshop notebook. About 2 - 3 times a week, I have asked him to write three sentences and draw a picture. Some of his excuses to avoid writing are brilliant. I often write in my own notebook during our writing time to model writing for him. This is what he wrote today:
Translation: I like summer. Summer is fun. I don't need to go to school.
(sigh)
I decided to play our treasure hunt game this morning to encourage him to read the clues on each card and to write clue cards for me. To play treasure hunt, you write down a clue to the hidden location of another clue, which leads to another then another clue until you reach the treasure.

Boogs loves to play this game. He had to read the clues to me before he could go find them. (Please ignore my messy house.)








The treasure - a homemade popsicle. 

Then it was Boogs turn to hide something for me. Here are a couple of his clues:

My treasure - a half eaten ring pop. Boogs told me, "You can take a couple of licks on it, but don't eat the whole thing."
YUM!
What things are you doing to encourage your reluctant writers?

14 comments:

  1. He is so cute!

    Have a lovely day! Stop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove this!!! Definately going to try this one with my sometimes reluctant writer! Thanks
    http://www.xpressionsofself.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treasure hunts make everything more interesting. I have even hidden the supplies for science projects to get his excitement up for experiments.

      Delete
  3. What a fun game -- I can see very creative parenting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much for such a kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great activity to encourage reading and writing. Treasure hunts are always so much fun! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Boogs really likes them.

      Delete
    2. My son loves treasure hunts, too. I featured your post today along with other learning games.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for including me in your learning games feature!

      Delete
  6. What a good way to incorporate learning into fun, Keitha. Scavenger hunt particularly is a good activity to have fun, learn and bond with your family at the same time. What I always do with my kids is that I set up an egg hunt with simple mathematical problems as clues. Whoever finds their corresponding egg with the correct answer wins.

    Rosalinda Hone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosalinda,
      That is a great idea to include Math problems in this activity. Thanks for sharing your idea.

      Delete